Xerox DocuShare features document management, collaboration, review and approval.
When coupled with Kofax Express and the CaptureBites™ DocuShare export connector, DocuShare provides a complete end-to-end document management solution.
The CaptureBites DocuShare Export Connector interacts directly with a DocuShare server and can send documents in PDF or TIFF format to DocuShare collections and sub-collections. It can also update standard and custom DocuShare object properties with Kofax Express index values.
Learn more about Xerox DocuShare
Objects are similar to content types in SharePoint and Object properties are similar to columns in SharePoint. The term “Title” in DocuShare refers to the name of the document as it will appear in the list of documents in a DocuShare collection.
For more information about Xerox DocuShare, visit the product page here.
Capabilities of the CaptureBites DocuShare Export Connector are:
- Test connection with DocuShare server directly from the setup panel
- Export in TIFF, PDF, PDF/A, Searchable and/or Super Compressed PDF format
- Browse to a DocuShare collection to define which collection to export documents to
- Build up a path and title with Kofax Express index fields, system values (export date, time, document number, etc.) or fixed values
- DocuShare standard properties: Author, Summary, Description and Keywords can be mapped with Kofax Express index fields.
- Documents can be uploaded as a custom object type (also known as custom document type).
- Custom object type properties can be mapped with Kofax Express index fields
To get up and running quickly with the trial, please read detailed instructions and important tips about each setting below.
This is the setup panel of the connector:
Selecting the DocuShare connector and setting it up
After installation of the CaptureBites DocuShare export connector, you need to configure it to access your DocuShare server. To access the settings, open Kofax Express, create a Job, select the Job tab and select CaptureBites DocuShare as the export connector. Instead of creating a job, you can also modify the CaptureBites DocuShare demo job that comes with the connector.
- URL: Enter the URL of your DocuShare server. The URL requires a trailing “/” at the end to connect successfully.
- User name and password: Enter your user name and password to login to your DocuShare server
- Domain: If you know your domain name enter it here, but be aware that the domain name is case sensitive. If you’re not sure what your DocuShare domain is, leave this field blank and the default domain name will be used. A default DocuShare installation’s domain name = DocuShare (notice the capital D and capital S).
- File Type drop down: Select one of the supported formats.
- PDF and PDF/A formats can be further configured by means of the setup button to configure following options:
- Color Super Compression
- Enable OCR to generate a searchable PDF (both image over text or text over image are supported)
Simply browse to a collection directly on the DocuShare server to select the export destination. You need to select a collection, you cannot export documents directly in the DocuShare server’s root.
Title (or Path)
The term “Title” in DocuShare refers to the name of the document as it will appear in the list of documents in a DocuShare collection.
Define the “Title” using a combination of Kofax Express fields, system values and fixed values. Use “/” in the Title to dynamically create sub-collections. In other words, the Title definition does not only contain the name of the document but can also include the complete path where each document will be stored. During export, the CaptureBites connector will check whether a sub-collection already exists and if needed will create one.
The Setup button next to the Title opens a menu of possible values you can use to define the Title.
DocuShare also requires an internal file name. By design, the CaptureBites connector will use the defined Title as the file name.
Object Type and Property Mapping
Most DocuShare users make use of custom Object Types (also known as custom document types). Each custom Object Type has its own range of custom properties. For example Invoice Documents will have Invoice Number, Invoice Date and Supplier Name as custom properties. Medical Documents will have Patient ID, Patient Name and BirthDate as custom properties.
You can select a standard or custom Object type from the drop down box and the CaptureBites connector will retrieve all its standard and custom properties from the DocuShare server. Just select for each of the properties a matching Kofax Express index field. You have the option to leave any of the DocuShare properties unmapped, unless of course a property is defined as required in DocuShare. The CaptureBites connector will check for required properties that are unmapped and will give a warning when this occurs.
DocuShare features 9 different types of custom properties and the CaptureBites connector supports them all. The different DocuShare property types are: Boolean, Date, Email, Float, Integer, Menu, String, Text and URL. Some special remarks regarding some of the custom types:
- Some of the object types such as String, Text or URL have a maximum length defined in DocuShare. During export, the CaptureBites connector will check whether a value fits the maximum length of a DocuShare property and will generate a clear message when it doesn’t. It is recommended to define a maximum length for each Kofax Express index field that corresponds with its matching DocuShare object property.
- Boolean properties only accepts 0 or 1 as value. You can define a choice list field in Kofax Express to assure that only 0 or 1 can be selected.
- Date Fields need to be send in a specific format to DocuShare. Define the data format as it is used in Kofax Express in the Date format field. Based on the defined format, the CaptureBites connector can convert the dates to a format that is compatible with DocuShare. Make use of the Setup button to use the correct format syntax. For example the date format YYYY?MM?DD will accept dates such 2011-12-06 or 2011/12/06.
- DocuShare Menu properties are the equivalent to choice lists in Kofax Express. DocuShare Menus can be defined to accept single or multiple values to be selected. An example of a multi-select menu can be a patient being treated by several physicians. In that case just enter the multiple values in a single Kofax Express field separated by commas.
- The Float type is typically used for amounts and accepts decimals. Make sure that the decimal point on the system that runs Kofax Express is defined the same as it is defined on the DocuShare server.
The download installs a functional version of this CaptureBites connector. It also includes some demo images and a demo job to show the functionality.
In demo mode, a demo seal will be stamped in all exported images. You can switch the demo version to full production mode by entering an activation code which you can purchase from our partners. You can continue using any of the jobs you configured in demo mode after activation of the software.