The most straightforward way of image enabling a business process is by adding a reference to a scanned document to an existing database. This could be a Microsoft SQL patient database, An Oracle 11g employee database, Sybase manufactured goods database or for a small business or department, it could be a customer or supplier MS-Access database. As long as you can connect to the database through an ODBC data source, it is possible to update your database with the CaptureBites™ Database export connector. You can also directly connect through an SQL Connection string witha Microsoft SQL Database and make use of BLOB fields to upload images.
How does it work?
To explain how it works, let’s use a patient database as an example.
When a new patient enters the hospital, he or she gets registered in the patient database. The database automatically assigns a unique patient record reference code which is printed as a bar code sticker and is applied on the cover of the patient’s document file. After the patient leaves the hospital, the patient’s document file is scanned and exported with the CaptureBites Database Export Connector.
During export, the CaptureBites Database Connector performs following functions:
- All documents are exported to a file server of choice with configurable file naming rules
- It connects to the patient database through ODBC
- For each scanned patient document it retrieves the corresponding patient record in the database by means of the bar code label on the cover sheet
- It then updates the database with the correct references to the scanned documents on the file server
- If the patient is not yet present in the database it will automatically enter a new record in the database
- The first section defines the ODBC source to connect to your database. The trial download includes a demo job which connects to an Excel table through ODBC. But we also have installations using the connector with Oracle and MS SQL Databases.
- Technically you can connect to any database for which you have an ODBC driver available.
- We also provide the option to connect directly to an SQL database through a connection string.
- After you click “Connect”, all tables in your database are listed and you need to select the table in the database which you want to update.
- In the “Lookup information” tab, you define which field you want to use to retrieve the matching data record to be updated. This lookup field should be unique for each record in the database. If no matching record can be found, a record is automatically added.
- If you do not want to lookup records but always want to add new records, then select <No lookup, always add records> from the Lookup Field drop down list. With this option enabled, every exported document will generate a new database record.
- The “Image File” section defines the location where all document images will be exported to, the file type and naming convention. The Database connector supports PDF and PDF/A without or without searchable text or super compression.
- The “Fields” section defines the mapping between your database and Kofax Express index fields. If you don’t want Kofax Express to update a particular database field, just don’t map it with anything.
- The “Upload image” to a BLOB field is available when you connect directly to your MS SQL database with a connection string. This allows to store the PDF files directly in your MS SQL database.
The download installs a functional version of the CaptureBites Database connector. It also includes demo images and a demo job to show the functionality and comes with a sample MS Excel Sheet and MS Access Database. Both files are located on your desktop in \Desktop\CaptureBites\CaptureBitesTables.xls and \Desktop\CaptureBites\CaptureBitesDatabase.mdb. ODBC sources are automatically configured for both during installation of the Database connector and the CaptureBites Database demo job is ready to be used right after installation.
Just export the batch in the CaptureBites Database demo job and check how the Excel table gets updated by opening it in MS Excel after export.
In demo mode, a demo seal will be stamped on all exported images. You can switch the demo version to full production mode by entering an activation code which you can purchase through our partners. You can continue using any of the jobs you configured in demo mode after activation of the software.